Skip to main content
Make the most out of any wiki by using our free sister product,
Blendspace by TES
, to create interactive lessons and presentations!
Pages and Files
Chapter 8.3 Section Assessment
8.3 Section Assessment
1. How are atomic and molecular orbitals related?
2. Explain how the VSEPR theory can be used to predict the shapes of the molecules.
3. How is orbital hybridization useful in describing molecules?
4. What shape would you expect a simple carbon containing compound to have of the carbon atom has the following hybridizations?
5. What is a sigma bond? Describe, with the aid of a diagram, how the overlap of two half filled 1s orbitals produces a sigma bind?
6. How many sigma and how many p bonds are in an ethyne molecule (C2H2)
7. The BF3 molecule is a planar. The attachment of a fluoride ion to the boron in BF3, through a coordinate covalent bond, creates the BF4- ion. What is the geometric shape of this ion?
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"